The Estate originally formed part of a Manor acquired by Sir Roland Hill MP in 1556 and remained the seat of the Hill family for almost 350 years. Hawkstone Hall is understood to date from circa 1700 with subsequent alterations between 1719 and 1725. There was then more substantial remodelling and enlargement in 1750.
The original Estate of the Hill family was broken up by 1906 when Hawkstone Hall was sold to the Liberal politician George Whiteley, later Lord Marchamley. He renovated the Hall and reduced the original wings in length. Following his death the property was acquired by the Roman Catholic Redemptorist Congregation of priests and brothers in 1926 and was originally occupied as a seminary. Since 1973/4 it has been run as an International Pastoral and Retreat Centre with associated conference
facilities and residential accommodation.